Saturday, March 12, 2011

Homemade Baby Wipes

I love just about everything about cloth diapers. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Carolyn, I've used cloth diapers almost exclusively with Calvin. This information is often greeted with horror by some--understandably so. Why wash dirty diapers when you can just throw them away? To be brutally honest, I'm not doing this for any environmental benefit. I use cloth diapers because they are convenient for me; I never run out of diapers, they save us lots of money and they are SUPER CUTE! It's not for everyone, I admit, but it's great for us. If you gag at the sight of poop--I'd think twice before attempting cloth diapers. Heck, if you gag at the sight of poop, I'd think twice about having kids. ;)

So a couple of months ago, I realized that I'm also overspending on baby wipes. My brother and sister-in-law used to make their own wipes, so I thought I'd try it for myself. This is the recipe that I came up with---and it works really well. (P.S.---I know this isn't a recipe that includes butter or sugar, but I thought I'd share anyway!)

You will need:
Bounty paper towels - preferably with select-a-size
*it is important to use Bounty---this is the only paper towel that can stand up to the recipe and wipe little bottoms (trust me, I've tried them all)
baby oil
baby shampoo
warm water
plastic container for storage

First up, cut the paper towel roll in half and remove the cardboard center---store the other half for later.
Place the half roll in a plastic storage container. I found this Sterilite brand container at Target and it fits perfectly!

To 1-1/2 cups of WARM water, add two tablespoons of baby shampoo...

...and two tablespoons of baby oil.

Give it a little mix...

...and pour it over the paper towel roll.
Pop the lid on the container...and voila! You have homemade baby wipes! There are all kinds of recipes out there on the internet, but this one works best for me. I can't believe I didn't try this before.


2 comments: